TV Jones Classic™ Universal Mount™ Neck Pickup in Chrome
5 in stock (can be backordered)
5 in stock (can be backordered)
Neck: A replica of the 1959 PAT. APPLIED FOR Filter’Tron
DC Resistance: 4.0K | Inductance: 1.40H
Between a Fender (brighter single coil) & Gibson (darker and thicker) Classic growl and grind when you dig in. Clean, compressed treble.
- For newer Pro Jet Guitars and Electromatic Guitars 5420 /5422 with the 2 screw mount on the bass side - the Dual Screw Mount Adaptor is necessary with the EM2 mounting option. Click here for more information.
- Gretsch 5120/5122 Guitars: Ring risers are NECESSARY under the rings for this guitar due to it's high neck angle. The bridge position requires two and the neck requires one.
- Gretsch Pro Jet: Please specify "Short Bridge Cover" for the bridge pickup in the "Special Request" field. Routing may be necessary.
- Click Here for the Pro Jet Mod Slide Show. Please note this page refers to older Pro Jets manufactured before 2011.
When you order items from the USA, assuming you are UK based:
- You’ll typically wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.
- When the items arrive in the UK, you will receive a notification from Customs / HMRC that you need to pay import fees before the products will be released to you. This fee is currently product purchase price + 3.2% import duty. VAT @ 20% is then applied to product price + 3.2% duty and shipping. E.g. £100 pickup + £10 shipping invites an additional £25.84 import duty & VAT before customs will release it to you.
- Converted Sterling costs shown on US based auction sites do not include commissions & fees meaning real costs are often higher.
- Buying from a trader outside of Europe means that you have less consumer rights. You can report a US trader to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the FTC may take action against the trader, but it won’t sort out your individual complaint. More info here on Consumer Rights
Suddenly that discounted pickup on a US based auction site doesn’t seem quite the bargain it was. When you order items from Retroville Guitars:
- We cover the import duties and customs for you. Because we are an officially authorised TV Jones dealer, our volume ordering means that we can pass on savings to our clients.
- Typically most items are held in stock and can be delivered to you the next working day.
- We offer an exclusive like it or return it money back guarantee on TV Jones pickups in addition to your UK & European consumer rights. If you dont like it, returning to the UK is a lot less hassle.
- We are a UK registered company owned and run by real guitar obsessed people.
You would need NE Mount T-Armond pickups, part nos TAB-NECHM-TS & TAB-NECHM-TS.
Although it appears the screws are in different places, they come with fiberboard adapters that will make it possible to mount in the power jet with ease. We recommend 500k pots with the T-Armonds because of their distinct nature – they are unlike most single coils. I would keep the mud switch just how it is!
Regarding fitting TV Jones pickups into a Gretsch Streamliner G2420T, TV Classics or any of our pickups in the Universal Mount will be fine. The customer has a choice to go with EM1 (Gibson style) pickup rings which will look like the ones he has on it now, or EM2 Gretsch style silver rings. Whichever he prefers, because either way he will have to drill new holes for the rings. This is due to the fact that TV Jones rings use American measurement and Gretsch Streamliner rings use Metric.
You may find that the components in the Streamliner can be improved. Ref pots, for humbuckers (Classics) you’d want 500k as a rule. TV Jones recommend 0.22pf caps as standard. We would recommend using decent components such as CTS & switchcraft. We normally keep some standard CTS 500k pots, Switchcraft jacks and 0.022pf caps in stock.
For solid body Cabronitas, assuming that the body has been routed to accepted the TV Classics, the Universal Mount pickups will screw straight into the body using the supplied screws and rubbers. If you are building a thinline Cabronita, assuming that there is some type of centre block, again, the Universal Mount pickups will also screw straight into the body using the supplied screws and rubbers.
Ref pots, for humbuckers (Classics) you’d want 500k as a rule. TV Jones recommend 0.22pf caps as standard, however there are lots of variations, especially with Cabronitas as some use S1 switching with a push pull volume pot switching tone. Its also worth researching the Greasebucket mod as that is popular.
TV Jones have some schematics here:
We would recommend using decent components such as CTS & switchcraft. We normally keep some standard CTS 500k pots, Switchcraft jacks and 0.022pf caps in stock.
If converting a regular single coil Tele, TV Jones supply a replacement bridge to fit the Classic size pickups. We can supply these with a 3-4 week lead time. https://store.tvjones.com/tele-bridge-plates-c24.aspx
For Electromatic Guitars 5420 /5422 with the 2 screw mount on the bass side – the Dual Screw Mount Adaptor is necessary and they will drop straight in. You will need one for each pickup Click here for more information.
We have also documented the fitting process in our blog here. Please note, 2016 onwards 5420s have pickup connectors which greatly simplifies replacement.
You will need the TV Jones Universal Mount™ Pickups with the Gretsch Style Rings (usually in chrome) and Ring Risers.
The TV Jones Universal Mount™ comes complete with 2 humbucker screws with springs and clips. To Fit TV Jones Universal Mount™ Pickups in a Gretsch 5120 / 5122, you’ll also need:
- 1 x Set of 3 Ring Risers with Screws – these ring risers are necessary if installing on a Gretsch 5120/5122. Three ring risers are needed due to the higher neck angle of the guitar – two for the bridge position and one for the neck position. https://www.retrovilleguitars.co.uk/product/ring-risers-screws/
- Gretsch-style Ring with screws for each pickup – you can modify original rings but these Gretsch pickup surrounds are modified for use with TV Jones Universal Mount pickups. These rings fit the Filter’Tron footprint of the Universal Mount. The pickup ring mounts directly to the guitar and the pickup suspends from the ring. https://www.retrovilleguitars.co.uk/product/ring-gretsch-style-em2-screws-silver/
We’d also recommend a Tube Kit for Tone Pot Harness unless your luthier / tech has appropriate tools for modifying hollowbody guitars as Gretschs are particularly difficult to re-wire. https://www.retrovilleguitars.co.uk/product/tube-kit-tone-pot-harness/
You can put the TV Jones pickups in a standard humbucker cavity using the Universal Mount and a USA Gibson-style ring (EM1) or the Humbucker Mount suspended from your stock ring. Both will drop right in.
Yes, you can. The bridge pickups available with a short cover in the Universal Filter’tron Mount are the TV Classic, TV Classic Plus, Brian Setzer Signature, Super’tron, the TV-HT, and T-Series. You can make the request, in our cart, for a short cover in the “special instructions” section, when ordering. A shorter cover on the bridge pickup is often useful when upgrading older Pro Jets that have mini-humbuckers, or for guitars with a low neck angle.
Yes, you will want to get the TV Jones pickups in the Universal Mount and a Gibson-style EM1 ring. The holes in the ring may not match up exactly with the stock rings if the stock rings are metric, so you would need to fill the old holes with wood glue and a toothpick.
You can order your TV Jones pickups in the Universal Mount with a USA Gibson-style ring (EM1). The Universal Mount pickups are smaller than standard humbuckers, so you’ll need to order an EM1 ring or there will be an unsightly gap around the pickup. Another option is the Humbucker Mount (Filter’tron in a Humbucker housing), which will suspend from the stock rings.
George Harrison acquired his Country Gentleman in late 1963. The filter’trons on that guitar are similar to the TV Classics. The TV Classic design was based around the original filter’trons. George also had a Duo Jet that he got in 1961 that had DeArmond pickups in it.
If your Electrajet has P90’s in it, the Soapbar Mount is a direct replacement. If it has humbuckers, you can use the Humbucker Mount or the Universal Mount. The Universal Mount is smaller than standard humbuckers, so you would need to replace the pickguard.
If your Guitar is a Gretsch 5120 / 5122, then please refer to this post https://www.retrovilleguitars.co.uk/pick-list-fitting-tv-jones-pickups-gretsch-5120-5122/
Many of the newer Gretsch Electromatic 54xx series now have blacktop filter’trons. You can easily swap them out for a pair of TV Jones. You will need to order the pickups in the Universal Mount along with a Dual Screw Mount Adapter, if your pickup ring has two adjustment screws on the bass side of the pickup. The pickups will suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary.
Please refer to this post for details https://www.retrovilleguitars.co.uk/fitting-a-gretsch-with-tv-jones-powertrons-and-wiring-harness/
When using the wood screws to mount the pickups, we recommend routing to a depth of 3/4″ for the neck pickup and 5/8″ for the bridge pickup. We offer routing templates to assist in the routing.
You’ll need the Universal Mount for your Gretsch Panther. The pickups will come with mounting screws and compression rubber for fine height adjustment.
You can order the TV Classic Plus in the Universal Mount, it will a direct upgrade. I would recommend a TV Classic to mate with it.
ou will need to order the pickups in either our Humbucker mount and use the existing mounting rings OR in our Universal Mount (or English Mount) along with one of our EM1 rings per pickup.
The only difference is that we will reverse the pole screw radius for a left-handed pickup. Otherwise the are constructed and mounted the same. If you need your pickups made left-handed, please leave us a note in the special instructions.
These would work well for what you are doing. I would strongly recommend you look into the TV Classic Plus for the bridge position for a fuller tone when split, etc..
The TV Classic would pair well your mini-humbucker.
The Universal Mount pickups are smaller than standard humbuckers, so you’ll need to order an EM1 ring or there will be an unsightly gap around the pickup
You will need to order the pickups in our Universal Mount. You’ll also need a USA Gibson-style mounting ring with each pickup. Another option is our Humbucker Mount which will suspend from the stock rings.
You should have no problem with our pole spacing. We use a larger pole screw head on our pickups. The Fender Custom shop uses our pickups on many instruments.
Gibson style mini humbuckers are generally narrower pickups (1-1/4″ wide). Filter’tron pickups are wider (1-3/8″). Measure your pickup cavities. Should be at least 1-3/8″ plus…
I recommend the EM-2 Gretsch mounting rings.
I would like to know if there are any Bezels that would replace/fit the big chrome ones on my Gretsch G5420. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Also would i be able to swap the pups (blacktop filtertrons with TV Classics) What mount do i need for TV jones classic in my new Gretsch Electromatic? It has blacktop filter’trons.
We do not have any bezels that would replace the chrome ones on your G5240. You can swap the blacktops for TV Classics. You would need to order them in the English Mount. You will also need a Dual Screw Mount Adapter for each pickup.
You will need to order the Power’tron Plus in the English Mount along with a Dual Screw Adjustment Adapter. The pickups will suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary.
The blacktop pickups mount with two height adjustment screws on one side and one on the other. You will need to order the pickups in the English Mount along with a Dual Screw Adjustment Adapter for each. The pickups will suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary.
I have just purchased an Electromatic 5420 (Cadillac Green – as far as I can tell no difference from any other 5420 except colour – yes I’m in the UK !). I wish to install Magnatrons if this is possible, but I have to admit my head is swimming with all the information. Please advise what else I will need apart from the pickups. Thanks very much.
You will need to order the Magna’trons in the English Mount along with a Dual Screw Adjustment Adapter. The pickups will use the adapters to suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary.
Many of the newer Gretsch Electromatic series now have blacktop filter’trons. You can easily swap them out for a pair of TV Jones. You will need to order the pickups in the Universal Mount along with a Dual Screw Mount Adapter, if your pickup ring has two adjustment screws on the bass side of the pickup (http://store.nexternal.com/tvjones/dual-screw-mount-adaptor-p148.aspx). The pickups will suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary. (Response Updated September 2015)
Unfortunately they will not not cover the footprint of the large metal rings on the newer model Pro Jet. The original screw holes would still be visible. Instead, we recommend using the English Mont with a Dual Screw Adapter, (http://store.nexternal.com/tvjones/dual-screw-mount-adaptor-p148.aspx). The pickups will suspend from the stock ring. No modification is necessary.
You’ll need to get our T-Series T-Armonds in the English Mount and a Dual Screw Mount Adapter for each pickup. They will suspend from the stock mounting rings.
These are sold individually. In most cases, only 2 are needed for two pickups. On a lot of guitars the treble side of the pickup is hidden under a pickguard. Usually this side does not need one.